London bomber buys bomb parts from Amazon
U.K. police have said a man who put a bomb on a London subway train bought most of the parts for the bomb online. Police have accused an 18-year-old Iraqi refugee of planting the bomb on a busy commuter train on September 15. The bomber left his device on a packed subway carriage during the peak rush hour. The bomb exploded at Parsons Green subway station at 8.20am. It caused burns to the face and body of 30 passengers. Police said there would have been more casualties if the bomb had worked properly. It didn't detonate fully so there was less harm to humans than there could have been. Police said the bomb contained, "knives, screws, glass and similar items to increase the likelihood of death."
The bomber bought many of the ingredients for his device from the online shopping site Amazon. One of these ingredients was several hundred grams of an explosive called TATP. This is also called "Mother of Satan" because it is so powerful. Police said the bomber used it to create "maximum destruction". Reporters later checked Amazon for the ingredients and were shocked to find that the site directed them to other things that could be used to make bombs, in the "items frequently bought together" tab. Amazon said it will work to stop this happening. It said: "In light of recent events, we are reviewing our website to ensure that all these products are presented in an appropriate [way]."
- Just copy and paste the following web address into the URL field of the podcast software you are using.
- If you are using iTunes, just click here for automatic subscription to this podcast.
What's a Podcast?
- A podcast is an audio file (most often an MP3) that you can download to your computer or music player (such as an iPod).
- You can listen to a podcast on a music/MP3 player or a computer.
- Your podcast software will automatically download Breaking News English's daily listening onto your computer and/or music/MP3 player.
- There is no need to visit the Breaking News English site to download the podcast once the above URL is in your podcast software, unless you also wish to look at or download the news article.
- You can listen to the audio file with iTunes, MediaPlayer or RealPlayer.
See Lessons Based On These Themes
Help Support and Promote This Website
Recommend my site on blogs, forums and other sites.
Consider buying my 1,000 Ideas and Activities book.
Please consider helping Breaking News English.com.