Thailand has a new king
Thailand has a new king after Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, 64, accepted an invitation from parliament to succeed his father. His succession comes 50 days after the widely loved and revered King Bhumibol died in October, aged 88. Prince Vajiralongkorn will be known as King Maha Vajiralongkorn. He will also be known as Rama X, or the 10th king of Thailand's Chakri dynasty. He addressed his people in a televised statement on Thursday. He said: "I would like to accept the invitation for the benefit of the Thai people." Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said: "May all the Thai people unite to pray that…he may long reign as an idol and guardian of the Thai people."
The coronation of the new king will not take place until after King Bhumibol's cremation early next year. The new king was born on July 28, 1952. He went to schools in Australia and the UK before doing his military training in Australia. King Maha Vajiralongkorn is widely travelled and has a home in Germany. Over the past few years, he has undertaken more of his father's ceremonial duties in Thailand when the late king was ill and needed medical treatment. He also organized and participated in high-profile events such as cycle rides around the Thai capital Bangkok. One of his first acts as monarch will be to endorse Thailand's new constitution that has been backed by the Thai people.
- Just copy and paste the following web address into the URL field of the podcast software you are using.
- If you are using iTunes, just click here for automatic subscription to this podcast.
What's a Podcast?
- A podcast is an audio file (most often an MP3) that you can download to your computer or music player (such as an iPod).
- You can listen to a podcast on a music/MP3 player or a computer.
- Your podcast software will automatically download Breaking News English's daily listening onto your computer and/or music/MP3 player.
- There is no need to visit the Breaking News English site to download the podcast once the above URL is in your podcast software, unless you also wish to look at or download the news article.
- You can listen to the audio file with iTunes, MediaPlayer or RealPlayer.
See Lessons Based On These Themes
Help Support and Promote This Website
Recommend my site on blogs, forums and other sites.
Consider buying my 1,000 Ideas and Activities book.
Please consider helping Breaking News English.com.